Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston.

While running the Chicago marathon for the second time in 2007, I saw a t-shirt that said "A marathon" on the front and "just long enough to experience every emotion..." on the back.

100% accurate.

The strength and courage and stamina and endurance and confidence it takes to train and run a marathon is nothing short of miraculous.  My heart is breaking today as I look at these photos and videos from what happened this afternoon in Boston. 

These people should be celebrating.  They should be limping around from exhaustion and pride and hugging the people they care about.  They should be doing so with joy and gratitude.  Instead, they're doing so in fear, despair and sorrow. 

I don't pray very often, but I am praying today.

I am praying that these people find strength and resolve and courage to heal and trust again.  I am praying for the families of those who were hurt or killed today.  I am praying that our nation continues to educate our children - to teach them to value cultural differences, to find pride in being strong, fearless, smart and different.  In education and appreciation we will find peace.  I pray that this kind of senseless terror never happens again. 

I read somewhere years ago that we should be hugged 11 times a day.  What if that was required? What kind of world would we be living in?  Instead of 1 or 0 hugs, we would get 11 a day.  Every day.  Would we be nicer to each other? More open? More communicative?  Would we feel more valued?

Tomorrow I will hug 11 people. Whether they need it or not.

May God bless everyone in Boston right now.  May God bless everyone - everywhere - help us all find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment