Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Peeing on trash.

My dog pees on trash.

Not in the "oh, i want to mark this garbage bag” kind of way, I mean, that when my dog has to pee, she actively looks for trash to relieve herself on.

A few months ago some woman saw my dog peeing on a discarded piece of newspaper, and asked if she was paper-trained. I laughed and said no. My dog, a stray from the streets of Puerto Rico, has never been paper-trained. After she was brought to the states, she has gone to the bathroom indoors exactly four times. Twice with her foster parents and twice with me - both of which book-ended a near death collapse and subsequent hospitalization.

My dog would rather pee outside, and for whatever reason- she chooses to do that on trash. Leaves will do, too.  She doesn’t discriminate.  Yesterday she peed on a lost glove. I hope the owner has another pair. She is particularly fond of plastic grocery bags. I once watched her patiently wait for the wind to die down so she could pee in the exact center of a bag.


A dear friend of mine has wondered multiple times how I managed to find a dog who is as weird as I am.  We rescued each other, I suppose.  And I will always make sure to never litter indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment