Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Manners

I just read an article about a guy in Arkansas who hired his friend to “attack” him with a knife – all to impress his date.

REALLY?!  Really?  What happened to just being nice?  Or actually listening when you ask a question?  Or holding the door open and letting her enter or exit a room before you do?  Or holding up your end of a conversation?  Or paying attention to her when you’re together instead of getting distracted by your phone? 

Sigh.  I don’t get it.

Is there no one left out there teaching chivalry and kindness?  Do we really believe the only way to impress a girl, is to have a friend to come pretend to stab you so you can show off how brave and manly you are as you fight them  off?  (Poorly, I might add as he still got cut a few times.)  

Getting on and off the subway is a perfect example.  If I am waiting on the platform to get on the train, and stand back to let the passengers get off the train before I try to board – which, assholes, is what you’re supposed to do – people will shove me out of the way to get on the train.  Really?  Is it really that important that you get that seat?  Or the times people will look right at a pregnant woman or elderly person standing, and not offer them their seat.  Why must we all be so selfish?

Though, there was one time last summer when I was in a seat by the door and a man who looked to be in his seventies got on the train with his bags and cane.  I got up and said, “sir, would you like to sit down?” and he immediately started to verbally attack me for assuming he was a cripple.  “Do I look like a fucking cripple to you?!”  “Did I ask you to stand up?!” “Fuck you.”  30 seconds into his rant, I said, still standing and slack-jawed “so…  you don’t want to sit?”, and sat back down.   He stood over me yelling for the rest of my trip.  I hate confrontation. HATE. It.  So with this old man yelling at me, I started to cry.  Which I hated even more. 

So, to this man who got stabbed to impress a girl, (who I just read was unsurprisingly NOT impressed by his antics) I offer you some advice.  Get a grip and learn some manners.  Ladies don’t like getting blood on their clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment