Monday, January 5, 2015

Future!

I am amazed by how often I think to myself “we are living in the future”.  Some strange technology designed to make our lives easier and make a job obsolete that amazes me.  We have TVs on the backs of airline seats. We have self check-out lanes in the grocery store.  Machines for recycling empty cans and bottles are now completely automated.  And our phones; dear God, our phones.  What the hell would we do without our phones?   I mean, my family had a rotary phone in our main room until 2000.  A rotary phone.  I remember typing my homework on a type-writer, and I’m only 33.  What must life be like for people in their 80’s?

It’s 2015 – and we really are living in the future.  I mean, isn’t this the year that Marty McFly fast forwarded himself to in BTTFII*? We don’t have self-drying Air-Jordan’s or hologrammed newspapers, but we don’t really even have newspapers anymore at all, so Hollywood wins that round.   

On New Year’s Eve this past week I found myself running in Central Park alone – freezing my ass off.  For the record, I was running as part of an organized race, and I was alone because my delightful friends were “wogging” ™ behind me, a combination of walking and jogging… they’d like me to clarify, they mostly walked. But beneath the awesome fireworks and in between convulsions of cold I realized a couple things.
  1.  I am 33 years old.  I know, I know, I’m six months late on this one.  But shit. 33. Jesus was 33.
  2. I am ready to live alone.  Be gone days of roommates. I want my own space that I can do with as I damn well please.
  3. I would really like to feel like my life has a point.  That there’s a reason I’m on my own.  That there’s a reason I am still trucking along at the whole acting game with enough success to confirm my talents but not enough that I can bail on my daytime gig.  I would really like affirmation in the form of a steady and money-making performance gig.
  4. I have never traveled anywhere completely on my own – and this year I’m going to do that.  Not to another country – but probably to Boston. I’ve never been there and I would like to visit.
  5.  I work too much and too hard.  I need to relax more.
So, 2015. Here we are.  I am making a written promise now out to the ether, and to my mother who is my lone subscriber, that this year I will figure my shit out.  I’m a capable, single gal kicking butt in a city that eats people for breakfast, and I need to find ways to be happier.  There is a reason I’m here doing what I’m doing and this year, I will figure it out.  So in the actual future, not just the future in which we exist today, I can look back on this month and say “good for you, kid”. 


                      *Abbreviated to showcase my hip-ness. Back to the Future: Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment