Friday, March 27, 2015

Hoop Earrings


I just read the most infuriating article. 24 Things Women Should Stop Wearing After Age30.   

Fuck off.

We live in an age where women are criticized for being too fat, too skinny, too ugly, too pretty, too made-up, too casual, too dumb, too smart, too young and too old.  And apparently this highly judgmental world now extends to saying that if you are over the age of 30 you should be banned from wearing hoop earrings.  Or blue eye shadow.  Or mini skirts because we old-bitties clearly are expected to leave them for the “young folks”.   

There were a few things on this “list” that I agree I shouldn’t wear: platform flip-flops, overalls, booty shorts, scrunchies.  The important clarification here though is that it’s not that I think they shouldn’t be worn by women over 30 – they just shouldn’t be worn.  By anyone.  Ever.  

Why are platform flip-flops even a thing? 

Also on the list is any clothing item from Abercrombie and Fitch because “do 30 year-olds even fit in A&F clothes?” 

FUCK OFF.

First of all I never shopped at A&F.  I never liked their style.  However, personal taste aside, Abercrombie and Fitch sucks. No one should wear their clothes.  The value youth and thinness to a sickening level, and don’t sell clothing in sizes larger than a women’s 12.  They don’t want “fat” people shopping in their stores.  Now, I work out 6 days a week and mostly watch what I eat.  I am (gasp) 33 years old and I can fit in their clothes.  I choose not to.

So – to the 20 something little twit who decided that you are the be-all-end-all of fashion choices – I can’t wait until you turn 30 and realize what an idiot you are. 

Until then, don’t mind me.  I’ll be over here aging poorly in my mother’s old hoop earrings and my ratty sneakers.



No comments:

Post a Comment