Thursday, June 11, 2015

Hangry

On facebook today, my friend posted the following post: 
           I am too old for the simple realization, "Oh, I guess I was just hungry," to be such a 
           consistently surprising answer to so many of my searching questions.

It made me laugh because I know her, but also because it applies to me as well. 

There are people who can suffer from hunger in a pleasant silence.  I am not one of them.  There are people who realize, "oh I forgot to eat" hours after a meal time and are surprised.  I am not one of them.  There are people who function at 100% when their blood sugar dips dangerously low.  I am not one of them.  

I have what was affectionately termed in college as A Food Monster.  When I get hungry I am a horrible person.  I get mean and impatient and curt.  I am never without a full stash of snacks.  I know myself and my flaws so I am always within an arms reach of a granola bar or bag of fruit snacks.  

My sister and I inherited this lovely personality trait from our dad.  When he is hungry his Food Monster might eat you or kill you - depending on if there are sharp objects near by.  Growing up my mother, with the patience of a saint would simply ask "dear, are you hungry?" and get to the nearest drive thru.  I can feel the Food Monster approaching about 10 minutes before I snap.  But the only reason I work to stay away of him is because I grew up being constantly aware of him living in those around me.  

Hence, the picnic basket of goodies in my purse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment